Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Wilderness Online

Throughout my graduate studies in the field of advertising, many courses have discussed the impact digital technologies have had on the advertising industry and the field of communication. While these theories and discussions have helped to inform the rationale I use when crafting strategies for the practice of advertising, I've been interested in exploring how the proliferation of digital technology has affected other fields. While I do not self identify as an artist, I have a modest artistic background in both visual art and performance art. Additionally, I have taken numerous courses meant to explore the relationship of creativity and the artistic process. These previous experiences are primarily what attracted me to the Visual Cultures in Cyberspace course.


With regard to visual art, I am especially interested in how emerging technologies have enabled artists to think differently and approach their work with a constantly growing tool set. Most recently, I was extremely impressed by an interactive film created in promotion of the band Arcade Fire’s most recent album The Suburbs. The interactive film The Wilderness Downtown was created by video director and photographer Chris Milk and utilized HTML5 to personalize a location-based audiovisual web experience in the form of a music video for Arcade Fire’s single “We Used to Wait”. Web experiences like this and those similar push the limits of what’s possible in cyberspace and create a sense of wonder to art online. However, I often wonder in what ways digital has disabled the artistic process by only creating two-dimensional interactions. Are there instances where “rich media” creates poor experiences with art?


I look forward to exploring these questions and others that arise through the course of the semester. Additionally, I look forward to gaining an informed opinion on art in cyberspace.

No comments:

Post a Comment